|A Ukrainian POW captured in Shakhtars’k 31st July 2014 is paraded in front of cameras / © RIA Novosti|
Russian ‘DNR’ Fighters Tortured and Committed War Crimes on their POW’s in South East Ukraine.
- Extremely graphic video and photographic material shows evidence of torture and alleged war crimes being committed on three Ukrainian POW paratroopers by fighters of the Donetsk People’s Republics (DNR) rebel forces in Shakhtarsk on 31st July: a clear breach of International humanitarian law and the Geneva convention.
- One Ukrainian POW was filmed and photographed being ‘forced’ to drag at least one deceased Ukrainian paratrooper from the road; and dig what appear to be graves for his comrades.
- The current whereabouts of all three POW’s are unknown.
- One ‘DNR rebel’ fighter, DImitry Gritsyuk, a Russian citizen from St Petersburg, shot a graphic video and photographs of the battle aftermath, including ‘posing’ in one photo with his friends stood over the remains of a Ukrainian paratrooper, which were posted on YouTube and social media.
- A pro-Russian website suggested one POW had died, posting a photo. He does look similar to the POW seen alive, but this cannot be 100% confirmed and remains a major question.
- The dead Ukrainian soldiers appear to have been looted by DNR rebel fighters.
- Proof Russia’s military is fighting on Ukrainian territory against the Ukrainian army: in this instance apparently under the guise of DNR rebels opposed to Kiev’s government. (herein referred to as ‘DNR rebels’)
WARNING: The video & photo evidence is extremely graphic throughout
Date: 31st July 2014
Location: Shakhtars’k Шахтарськ : Donetsk region, Ukraine
Summary: Ukrainian army sustains ‘heavy losses’ in a battle in or near Shakhtar’k, SE Ukraine on 31st July, in an apparent ambush GRAD attack.
The GRAD attack on 31st July, according to reports here and here, DNR rebels killed 21 and injured 80 Ukrainian paratroopers of the 25th Brigade, including a claim to have killed the 2nd Battalion commander – a few km’s south of the Malaysian Airlines MH17 crash site area, west of Torez. Another, later report suggests 14 reported dead and 10 injured.
In the battle aftermath, video and photographs were published of DNR rebel soldiers ‘gloating’ over their ‘victory.’
|Dimitry Gritsyuk, a Russian paratrooper|
Further images of the aftermath:
The Three Ukrainian POW Paratroopers
|RIA Novosti (image 1)|
|RIA Novosti (image 2)|
|RIA Novosti (image 3)|
|RIA Novosti (image 4)|
|RIA Novosti (image 5)|
These three Ukrainian POWs appear to be clearly under duress and in conjunction with numerous and lengthy videos posted on YouTube, it looks like they may have been ‘tortured.’
The above video also shows the man on left (also seen in image 1 on left) apparently arriving at a hospital (see 6:00), and is seen being treated:
Another video appears to show the same POW, in a bed asking for his mother to collect him. He claims to be in a Donetsk hospital when asked, and he gives his name as Andrey Ponasyuk (video unavailable any more).
It is unknown at this point whether Andrey Ponasyuk was released from the hospital, or where he is currently located.
However, this photograph below, which was posted here appears to show the same man in the RIA Novosti photographs / videos and was captioned as dead (screenshot):
When compared to the hi-resolution photo via RIA Novosti and the videos it appears to be the same person taking into account the facial features, including hair; and clothing appear to match:
However, until a body has been recovered or reliable information has been received regarding his status or whereabouts, the evidence is currently inconclusive to say that the POW seen alive, did in fact die.
POW forced to drag dead comrade and dig mass graves
The video is here (first it shows a local man berating and spitting on the POW)
The same POW appears to have then dug a grave:
Looting the dead
There is a $200,000 reward for the capture of DImitry Gritsyuk, the Russian citizen and soldier from St Peterburg, according to this report:
Where are the three POW paratroopers now?
And in particular…. what happened to Andrey Ponasyuk?
This is an ongoing investigation:
Information on this incident is urgently needed. If you can help please contact via Twitter.
Further updates to follow….